|Occupation(s)||Record producer, engineer and musician|
Joe Chiccarelli, a native of Boston, Massachusetts, is a music producer, mixer and engineer who has been active since the late 1970s.
Chiccarelli got his first taste of the studio through a cousin who owned Boston's Fleetwood Studio. He also worked as an engineer at Music Designers Recording Studio in Boston. Chiccarelli moved west in the late '70s where he scored an assistant engineer gig at L.A.'s Cherokee Studios. He got his career break engineering Frank Zappa's album Sheik Yerbouti (1979). In an interview with HitQuarters, Chiccarelli said: "[Zappa's] engineer couldn’t make the session and so he decided to take a chance on me. I’m so thankful ever since that day because he gave me a career."
He is credited with discovering singer Tori Amos and signing her first band, Y Kant Tori Read, to a label deal. However, Chiccarelli refuted this in an interview with HitQuarters saying, "That’s a myth. Tori was already signed to Atlantic Records as a solo artist when I got involved." In 1998, he mixed the Latin album Un Tributo (a José José), a tribute to José José.
Chiccarelli produced Minus the Bear's album Omni, released May 4, 2010. He produced four tracks on The Strokes' fourth album, "Angles". He also produced the Double Platinum debut album from Australian group Boy & Bear. The band received Five ARIA awards for the album. He also engineered and mixed track's on Morrissey's "Swords" album
In 2011, Chiccarelli produced Jason Mraz's fourth album "Love Is A Four Letter Word", released April 17, 2012 and Alanis Morissette's "Havoc and Bright Lights" as well as the album "Songs of Patience" for Alberta Cross. In 2012 He Produced a Gold Album Departures for Australian artist Bernard Fanning as well as tracks for Dwight Yoakum. His 2013 album projects include Divine Fits, Hellogoodbye, Saints of Valory, Plain White T's, Need To Breathe, The Madden Brothers, and Oxbow. In 2014 he has produced Morrissey's album, World Peace is None of Your Business as well as five songs on Spoon's They Want My Soul album. Tracks with The Rocketboys, Ivan & Alyosha, JEFF the Brotherhood and Victorian Halls. In 2015 he produced a duets album for Doug Seegers and Jill Johnson becoming a Platinum Number One album in Sweden. Album releases in 2016 include albums from Oxbow, Buffalo Sunn, Cherry Glazerr, Night Riots,Broken Social Scene and SPEAK.
Involvement with American Music Club
Chiccarelli was the mixing engineer on all of American Music Club's 1991 album Everclear, except "The Confidential Agent" and "What The Pillar Of Salt Held Up", which were mixed by Bruce Kaphan. Chiccarelli was enlisted again to work with the band as co-producer for their 1994 album San Francisco and 1995 Hello Amsterdam EP.
- "Joe Chiccarelli Bio". ArtistDirect.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Interview with Joe Chiccarelli". HitQuarters. 14 June 2010. Retrieved Aug 19, 2010.
- Rogers, Kalen (1994). Tori Amos: all these years : the authorized illustrated biography. Omnibus Press. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-7119-4827-3. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Minus the Bear's New LP OMNI Out May 4th". Dangerbird. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Animal Magnetism". Time Off Magazine. 3 August 2011. Retrieved Aug 4, 2011.
- "Jason Mraz new album Produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Alanis Morissette's New Album produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "About Alberta Cross". Archived from the original on August 29, 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2012.